Sunday, November 9, 2008

Running Demons & Pride

There are demons that invade running. Do not feel alone if you come to feel a demon or two. Anyone starting a running program (or even someone like me who has done one and is going for a second) - finds demons emerging. It might be your first double digit run - the mere thought of running that far has you scared - freaked out! You think to yourself, "...who am I trying to kid??? I can't run 10 miles!!!..." That would be a "10 Mile Demon". I had that one last year. And I had a horrible "16 Mile Demon" and then... there was the completely awful "22 Mile Demon", not to mention of course... the all consuming, "26.2 Mile Demon". This year I have a new demon - the "Don Donnelly Hill Demon"

Everyone has running demons and the key thing about running demons is they can scare you, make you doubt yourself, hold you back, even make you quit. Yes, quit! But you have not come this far with this blog because you are willing to quit. You are reading because you want to hear all of the stories and match your experiences up and not feel so alone in the quest to go further than you have ever gone before!

So what do you do when demons pop up in your training?

You quietly prepare. It's about 99% mental. And you head out and you face your demon. Maybe the demon holds you back and you simply can't get past it. This is where you DO NOT GIVE UP! Walk that last mile or two and walk right through that demon! And go back and face it in another week or two. Maybe even the next time you are up against that very same demon, you end up having to walk again, but I bet it will be less. Eventually something really great will happen. You will run right through your demon and when you have come through it, you might even throw your hands up in the air and tell the world - " I DID IT!!!!" Maybe the cars driving by will think you are possessed, maybe you might scare the old man you just passed... but hey, YOU DID IT! I say, shout it out to the world!

I finally beat my latest demon on Saturday. I have been doing my high mileage runs on the streets rather than the trails lately because the streets are actually easier to run on and I find my running to be much more efficient. There is a little issue though with my street runs... I can't get home without hitting a steep hill at the last mile. It is only .17 of a mile, but it is super steep and on a road called Don Donnelly Trail. I have been running 3.5 months now and have never been able to get to that last mile and run up and over it. I have had to break down to a walk. Heart rates have been too high to even consider running it.

Well - that all FINALLY changed on Saturday. I had a 10 to run and at mile 9 I put my head down and concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other and keeping my pace up. Next thing I knew, I was cresting the Don Donnelly Hill and headed down the other side for my final trot home! It was a moment of pure triumph for me and yes, I did throw both hands up and yell YES!!!! I DID IT!!!! I was so happy! By the time I got home I was saying stupid things to Loving Man and Cha like... "hey, ask me about my run today..." Just so I could relive the joy of actually running through my demon.

And this is really why I run. Because all those doubts can be beat. Moments of finally accomplishing something that has been so hard... those moments are the real reason why I do all of this and beg you all to join me. They are small moments in your life, but they are EARNED accomplishment. No short cuts! Nothing that money can buy! A pure sense of pride and joy.

Be proud. Fight the demons! Your inner strength will grow (along side those quadriceps!) And that my friends, is a feeling you will never want to give up.


The last .17 of 3 miles of slight uphill - Don Donnelly Trail Eastbound - Homeward bound! Demonic!

2 comments:

Richard Hefner said...

Hi CJ... Thanks for the encouraging message you left on my blog! I do appreciate it although I think I'm going to put the marathon and even the half marathon on the back burner for now. I'd like to do those long distances eventually but I think I need to build a better base first. I just started running a little over two months ago and since my first 10-miler last Sunday (about five days ago) my left knee hasn't stopped aching (must be the achy-knee demon!). I've been happy running 5k races every Saturday since I started and haven't missed one in nine weeks. I placed in the top 3 finishers in six of them so that gives me some incentive to try to build up my speed in those short races, then maybe I can start thinking about a marathon again in a year or so.

Pat said...

Hey, you got a great blog going. I live over in Chandler, so we are practically neighbors.

Which marathon did you run last year? I did the Rock and Roll this past January.

I did the Lost Dutchman half back in 2007 and will do it again this year. Maybe the full.