Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Thing about a goal... and the thing about shoes...

There is something very special about considering a feat that is not within your reach.  They majority of people I would guess, would consider and then move on to an action that is well within reach.  No - considering, deciding, planning, working and achieving are collectively a very special action.  And when complete, that thought to action brings an incredible feeling to you.  A sense of accomplishment, a sense of dedication, a sense of self.  There is great joy in meeting a lofty goal.   This blog is about reaching out to you and asking you to join in and set a goal - something that might take 6 months, a year to work toward.  And sharing your joy of accomplishment.

Tomorrow I start my next journey of work toward my 2nd Marathon Goal.  I am excited...!  The last time (which happened to be the first time!), I made this goal, I was terrified.  One time I had run 13.1 miles and it hadn't been the greatest experience.  Why would doubling the mileage be a better experience?  And at 47 and very chubby, how in the world did I think I could even physically do it?  Well, this Blog is to talk about all those steps along the way last year that cumulated in my 2008 Marathon run.  Why am I excited for my 2009 Marathon?  Because I know now, that with the proper training, a Marathon is very do-able.  I ran with men and women who were in their 50's, 60's, 70's, even a guy who was 82!  I ran along side many who walked the full 26.2 miles.  I ran with people who had disabilities.  

The human body is made to cover many miles whether at a walk or jog.  We just don't have a real need to do that anymore in life.  Look up the Nova Program on the Marathon Challenge.  It will tell you that man is built for long distances - in fact can out run a cheetah for distance.  (not speed - distance!).  As long as you engage in correct running technique, you can run or walk incredible distances.  Certainly more than you and I can do today.  Yes, I agree there are some physical reasons why walking or running may not be an option for some, but for most... it is something you can start tomorrow.  The Nova show is also awesome as it depicts the science of all the changes that take place in your body when you move from a sedentary lifestyle to one with walking and running as exercise.  Watch it.  It will motivate you!  Find it on a Google Search.

THE RUNNING SHOE
Let's begin with a quick review on shoes!  Visit your local Running Store and get fitted CORRECTLY for a good pair of shoes.  SportMarts are not the place to go.  You need a knowledgeable salesperson to fit you correctly for your unique feet and gait.  It seems to me that the world is being run by 19 year olds anymore - they are impatient, they have little to no experience or expertise regarding the job they hold and typically they have not developed their Problem Solving Skills in life yet.  Trust me, this is not the person you want to help you invest in your pair of running shoes.  A shoe can make or break your running experience!  Go to a Pro!  If you are in my area, there is a great little store in Gilbert, AZ called RunAZ.  Go there on a weekday and have the smart guys there help you.  They look at your gait, they look at your feet, and they make excellent suggestions for you and your goal.  

When I finally did this, I found I had been running in shoes that were a full one and a half size too small!  I had decided to go in because I kept having problems with blisters that I could not seem to avoid.  This is where I learned that running shoes must be a whole size AT LEAST (sometimes more!)  larger than your normal everyday shoes.  Your toes are never supposed to touch the end of your shoe!  No one ever told me that!!!!  I was up to 12 mile runs by that time and guess what?  I had already damaged toenails and before the oddessey was over, I had lost 7 toenails!  Ok, sometimes losing toenails is part of the Marathon experience, but I am looking forward to this year to see how doing ALL the training in proper fitting shoes will effect my pedicures!

If you pronate or supinate (ways a foot hits the ground), the knowledgeable Sales Guy can put you in the correct shoe to support your foot.  This not only helps your feet, but it helps your ankles, your knees and your hip joints - and all the tendons and ligaments that keep those joints moving.  Places like RunAZ are staffed with salespeople that understand this and I am sorry, big sporting goods stores just don't.  Support your local independent running store.  

The next cool thing the great sales guy at RunAZ taught me was the "Runner's Tie".  FINALLY I know why running shoes have those extra holes up by the ankle!  AMAZING!  This tie-method actually locks your heel down and guess what...?  No more heel blisters!  I would try to explain this tie to you in this blog, but... well, it is probably easier just to have them show you when you get fitted.  It would probably take uploading several pictures, which I guess I am happy to do if anyone requests it!  Just let me know!

While you are there at the Running Shoe Store... get some dual layer Running Socks.  Another blister remedy!  They actually make them in several sizes so if you have little feet, like me, you don't have to suffer with the heel riding up around your ankle.  Sock wrinkles are nothing for everyday shoe use, but when you are running miles - sock wrinkles will put an immediate stop to your progress with a raging, painful blister.  Get several pair!  I like Wrightsocks.  They come in several ankle heights.  

Ok, that's if for today.  I am getting psyched!  Tomorrow is Day One for my 2009 Lost Dutchman Marathon Training!  I've got six months to get ready.  I am not scared one bit this year.  I am so looking forward to all of the excitement and reward that I know is going to come my way.  Come do it with me...!

No comments: