Monday, August 4, 2008

DAY ONE AND SUMMER RUNNING...

Wow!  The greatest thing happened this morning!  I awoke to dark skies and rain clouds covering up the blazing Arizona Sun.  This made for a great way to go for a run - no need for sunglasses and no blazing sun effect on my face, arms & legs!  How about that for a Training Day One gift?!

I wanted to say a few things about running in the heat.  First off, it is very different than running when it's cold.  I am grateful that my initial training runs are shorter distances and when I get into the long runs, the weather will be much cooler.  So let's talk a little bit about what happens when you exert yourself in heat.

The human body is an amazing thing with a very complex computer running all of it's systems.  When you are old like me, you need to keep an eye on some things to make sure you don't get yourself in trouble... like your heart rate!  I train to a heart rate - go faster when it is lower and slow the heck down when it is too high.  So back to the amazing human body... when it is warm out the mainframe tells your capillaries to dilate, so that breezes and sweat evaporation can cool your blood supply.  Then your heart rate has to step up so that it can pump blood to those dilated or larger blood capillaries.  This sort of plays havoc with the training because your heart is already beating faster than normal just to deal with the heat.  So you really need to keep an eye on your heart rate when it's warm out, or like Arizona... HOT out!  

Today I ran 4 miles and it took me 60 minutes.  That is a 15 minute mile pace which is much slower than my training rate last year of 10-12 minute miles.  However, this was absolutely necessary because I had to slow to a walk several times when my heart rate began to exceed my normal training rate.  This is how it's going to be until the Arizona desert begins to cool down later next month.  So here's how I watch out for my ticker...

I use a Polar F-11 heart rate monitor watch.  I like it because not only does it give you continuous heart rates, it also can be programmed to give you the total calorie burn during your workout.  I like that!  Because I like to eat and I have to watch what I eat and right now I am counting calories because I need to lose 20 pounds.  The total calorie burn puts me in a nice deficit so I can eat a little more and still lose weight.

But more important, that heart rate is my immediate monitor to my health and keeps me in the proper zone so I don't overdue it.  If you run in your zone, you can go a much longer distance than if you're running at a higher heart rate.  Find out what your zone is for your age and health and use that religiously when you train.  You will be delighted when you find yourself getting more fit and you have to run faster and longer to stay in your zone!  If you don't have a heart rate watch, go get one.  There are several great models out there so look around and get one that is easy to use and fits your needs.  If you are a data-geek like me, you can start charting your average heart rates, your calorie burns, mileage and times and see the wonderful progression as you get into better shape.  It's a delight to see your progress along with the way your feel improving every week.  And it is amazing how fast your heart health responds to training.  So come on... let's go!

No comments: