Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Training Stats and Orthotics

Training Update:

Since the end of July:

I have run 82 times, 107 hours, burned 58,546 calories and gone 455 miles! Nice to know I could run to my mom's house in California for a visit should I ever need to! It would take 4 months, but I could get there!

Orthotic Update:

After my first horrible experience with the Foot Surgeon's Orthotics, I was very scared about trying them again. I had gone to the Chiropractor as I was harboring this weird pain in the top of my right hip. Long story short - I have been favoring my left foot enough that it transferred to my right hip. He suggested orthotics to cushion and support my fused toes (#4 & #5 on each foot). I was born with toes that curved under and had a fusion to straighten them out. Only problem is now they don't bend and take a lot of force each time they hit the ground. My #4 Left toe is actually fused incorrectly, pointing slightly downward so it takes a further beating than the rest.

I have had a purple #4 Right toe since I started running. Of course I must favor it somehow in my stride.

Well, we talked extensively about my first experience and he showed me the kind of orthotics he prescribes. They were significantly better built. Completely flexible. And the interesting thing is they laser scan your feet while you are standing on an image collector. I found this fascinating because the Foot Surgeon just made a plaster cast of my feet while I was laying on a table, feet dangling in air. The Chiro's scan of my feet showed the pressures of my feet on the ground and in turn, creates an orthotic to assist with the way your foot actually connects with the ground. So... I went for it and had them made. When I got them and started wearing them, it was clear they were of much different quality than the other pair. I then had to go get fit for a new pair of neutral running shoes as the orthotics take care of all the correction I need. They put me in a 1/2 size larger Nike Zoom Vomero 3. It was like walking on a gel cushion! I wore them everyday for 3 weeks while working and finally tried a little two mile run in them. I was terrified after my first experience with orthotics ripping holes in the bottom of my feet - however! At the end of my 2 mile run, there was no pain in Left #4. There were no holes or blisters forming anywhere on my feet. I wore them again around town the following week as I was resting up for the Memphis trip. So no additional runs in them.

On race day I had to make a decision. Do I run in my old shoes or do I chance it and try 13.1 in the new shoes with the Orthotics? I had a pit in my stomach, knowing such a decision could leave me on the side of the road at about mile 5 with bleeding feet and needing a lift back to the finish line!

Well - I threw the dice. I ran in the Nikes and Orthotics and folks, let me tell you something right here and now - I WILL NEVER RUN AGAIN WITHOUT MY ORTHOTICS!!!!! I never felt any of my typical pain. Three times during the run my mind drifted to my feet and I was amazed to realize I was feeling no pain in my toe. It occurred to me that maybe they were just frozen and I would have a different experience when they thawed out! But no... there was none of the typical ache that I have grown accustomed to!!!

After the race, I examined my feet - no hotspots - no blisters - AND MY TOE WAS NO LONGER PURPLE!

www.footlevelers.com

If you have any foot issues, I strongly recommend you look into a doc or chiro that can help you get a pair of these things made.

My life has changed. I know I can now run long distances without toe pain. Maybe even all the way to Mom's house! : )

3 comments:

Pat said...

OK. I'm sold. It was like you wrote this post for me. :).

Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ceej-

Leave it to me to misplace the web address for the blog. Congrats on the mephis acccomplishment. It sounds like everyone had fun! Gotta love the mylar blankets-everyone looks at little alien like! I have updates too...I'm injured AGAIN. I'm thinking about those orthotics you speak of! So in actuality, all of my freinds are injured. We were all supoosed to relay the California internaitional marathon (CIM) as two teams of two. IT was supposed to be a fun easy half marthon for the off season. All of us have been training hard, not paying attention to our aches and pains and ended up running the relay as two teams of four. It was a humbling expereince to say the least! My good freind Nikki and I had leg 3. THe plan was to find her hubby and pace him on that leg. We found him...walking in extreme pain at about mile 14. We walked/ran with hime until mile 16 then he had to drop out. Not an easy choice for him, but he will be back! Nikki and I however still had to run to mile 20 to give the timining chip to the next runner. Nikki is MUCH MUCH faster than I. So we ran an 8:30 pace to mile 20. I couldn't walk on Monday and not really well Tuesday or yesterday. You run and you learn, when injured don't try to keep a faster than your normal pace...I've got my sights set on Arizona next year. I did it...I signed up and got in for the Arizona Ironman. I'll be running my first full marathon after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 miles on the bike. Terrified, yes, excited, yes...taking a break to prevent injury for a bit...yes! And know I am thinkig about orthotics after reading your entry! And I love the mexico pics. You are surrounded by wonderful people-Can I borrow them for Arizona Ironman?

Anonymous said...

Ceej-
We so enjoyed y'all being here for the St. Jude race. I am so glad to have at least one race under my belt.

I am not sure I will be able to fully train in time, but I am going to try for the New Orleans half marathon. It is Feb 1 so I will be pushing it somewhat. When is your full marathon? Ken says Merry Christmas!! Jen