Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oh the sweet completion of a 20...

Have I said lately HOW MUCH I LOVE MY ORTHOTICS????!!!!!

My running life has completely changed. How about 20 MILES WITH NO TOE PAIN???!!!! So sweet! Oh, and have I said this lately; I WILL NEVER RUN WITHOUT MY ORTHOTICS EVER AGAIN!

oh how i love them!

Ok, so I received several comments about the comment I made when I was approaching mile 13 in Memphis...that little lightbulb that went off in my mind that told me that maybe I am a half-a-thoner, not really a marathoner. So today was a big day for me because it was going to help me to understand the truth.

I was scheduled to go 20 today. I don't know why but 20 just seems so much bigger than 18. 20 is one of those milestones that makes you believe you are a long distance runner. So I checked out the canal systems around the Phoenix Valley and found one not too far from home. I set out to see about a 20... an easy 20.

The great thing about running on these canals is they are very flat. No hills and hard packed dirt. Easy on the joints. The only bummer is having to cross busy streets every once in awhile and the canal I ran on, doesn't cross streets at the intersections with lights. So there was a bit of waiting and dashing across 2 or 4 lanes of traffic. Not as bad as it sounds, but... it did mess with my tempo some. (read: gave me a reason to walk, stop, stretch a bit)

Here is pretty Great Blue Heron who was fishing as I trotted by. I saw only 3 other people during my 4 hour canal experience today, but did connect with some interesting wildlife. I went past some magnificent peacocks in a big orchard and wanted to take their picture on my way back... only problem was they were gone on the return pass.

Here are some magnificent Koi or Goldfish... you can't tell by the picture but they were easily a foot long. Big guys! Someone was no doubt done with their fish tank and tossed them in the canal. Clearly they were thriving.

Well the good news is I ran right through 13.1, 18 and all the way to 20 today. Just like I told myself I was gonna do. Back to that brain-thing - I swear your body will only go as far as you have decided to go that day and not a step more! I was tired at 20 and my knee was starting to ache a little, BUT NO FOOT PAIN!!!! : )

After my ritual of ice packs, I feel really good. Wait, let me be a little more clear - I feel really good compared to other times I have finished long runs! I may be a bit limpy tomorrow, but that is expected. But the thing I wanted to report is, yeah... I think I can run another marathon. I am going to do another 20, then a 22 and repeat and then I will be ready for the Lost Dutchman... right on track. I am going to throw the PFChang 1/2 in during January just to do a get some miles in for the week, but my heart is aimed at February 15th... and I want to see if I can do a sub-5 hour marathon - with my ORTHOTICS!!!!

4 comments:

Pat said...

"an easy 20 miler", that's a classic runner's line. Glad you enjoyed the canal. We see push me, pull me's on our canal. Well, maybe they're llamas.

SRP puts White Amurs in the canal to eat the weeds, but I don't think they are orange. All I ever see in the canals are shopping carts.

CJ Miller said...

Ok, let me defend myself here... Easy 20 meant flat surface, packed dirt, NO HILLS, cool weather! And that is as EASY as you can get when staring down a 20 miler!!!

Update: stiff like crazy last night, pretty mobile this morning. Motrin and coffee to start the day...!

How are you feeling today Pat? I am thinking I should have done the Fiesta instead of the Canal! I love the shirt and the medal!!!! : )

Tanya said...

so true about the body not wanting to run an inch more than the planned run. I've even tried to fake out my body by saying I'll run 10 miles today, when I'm only scheduled for a 7 miler, but the legs are on to that trick and it never works.

Glenn Jones said...

CJ - Thanks for stopping by my blog (TheRunningFatGuy)!

My hip problem - it's strange because it took 940 miles for it to appear. Everything is pointing toward a Hip Flexor or Groin strain - probabaly caused by riunning all out at my Thanksgiving Day downpour debacle.

When you're in town, send me a note - If I'm not on the shelf maybe I can hit the trails with you one day!