Sunday, October 12, 2008

12 weeks, 10 pounds????

I have been training now, faithfully for 12 weeks. Early on I was really watching my calorie intake and by week 6, I had lost 8 pounds. Then nothing. By week 12, I had lost 10 pounds. So if I had been a little more careful on the calorie intake, I would have been rejoicing in a minimum of 12 pound loss and perhaps as high as 24 pound loss if you go by the rule of no more than 2 pounds per week.

So there is only one culprit. Eating too many calories. When you run high miles, you get hungry! And you have to watch it, or you get in the kind of slump I am in.

So I have a challenge for all of you. This post is going to be full of your comments because each of you is tasked with putting together a yummy, filling, good for you, 300 calorie meal. This will work for Breakfast and lunch. You may also put together a 600 calorie meal for dinner. The goal is to keep your days at an average 1200 calorie intake. I have been slacking and so my weight loss is very slow. If we are purposeful in our eating habits - weight loss is a no-brainer.

OK, I am going first:

Breakfast: Dry Cereal - OPTIMUM REBOUND by Nature's Path, 3/4 Cup (190 calories) - add - 3/4 Cup Nonfat Plain Yogurt (90 calories), stir it all together and it is quick, filling and good for you: TOTAL CALORIES: 280

Lunch: Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1 cup (160 calories), add 1/2 cucumber sliced (12 calories), add 1/2 cup Sugar Snap Peas (30 calories), add one diced Tomato (26 calories), add 1 sliced Green Onion (8 calories), add 2 tablespoons GIRARDS Light Champagne Dressing (60 calories) and stir all this together. (Fat free cottage cheese tastes just like the real stuff to me by the way). This is one of my all time favorite meals, I can eat it any time of the day. TOTAL CALORIES: 296

Lunch: Lean Cusine Steak, Cheddar and Mushroom Panini - This is really really really good. I love these things! They are filling and you get to chomp down on bread. Best news: TOTAL CALORIES: 320

Dinner: Beef Tenderloin Filet, 4 0z (that's a decent size!), broiled or bbq'd (260 calories), this is for lean meat, obviously a fatty piece will have higher calories and fat content. I chose the Tenderloin as it is my favorite cut of meat, but also it has the least calorie count in the Ribeye, NY Strip, T-Bone, Porterhouse category. 1 Red Potato, boiled with skin and 1 pat butter (99+36=135 calories), 8 spears of Asparagus with lemon juice squeezed on top (26+5=31 calories), Mixed salad with tomatos and 1/4 diced avocado plus 2 tsps Girards Light dressing (5+26+75+60=166 calories). Okay let's add that up: TOTAL CALORIES: 592

Wine: 4oz-90 calories! YIKES!!! (I am guessing my glass holds more than 4 oz...!)

So you see... this is very do-able!!! We just need to be very conscious of the effort of putting together a meal and not going for the second helpings. So with that being said... I am putting you all to the task of creating a good tasting meal that falls in the right calorie range and posting it as a comment! The more original you get, the better we all eat! Go for it and don't be shy. I have at least 10 more pounds to lose!!!!!! : )

Running update: Saturday Morning, 72 degrees (nice 20 degree drop here in the desert!), ran a great 8, with an 11 minute mile pace. Getting stronger and faster!

It was said that Sweet Nicki might do double digits this weekend...! Nicki!!! Tell us, did you go for it?! We need an update from you!

2 comments:

Nickie said...

Well I did it!!! Sunday morning I ran 10 miles!! (Double digits.) My hip was aching so bad, but I forged on. It took me 1 hour and 37 minutes.
I have been for the past week watching calories myself. I stay at or under 1200 calories. It's not as bad as I had first thought. My favorite dinner is salmon 3.5 oz=182 cal) and spinach(1/2 cu =21 cal). I usually eat 1 cu spinach so that is only 182+21+21=224. This means I can have a treat!! I found these 100cal hershey wafer bars...sooo good. Total 324..whoo!! My other favorite dish is scrambled eggs with fresh veggies. One large egg is 80 cal, I ususally eat 3 (Im always starving) with tomatoes, green onions and mushrooms. 1 small tomatoe is approx 24cal, 1/2 cup mushrooms is 9 cal, and Im not sure about the green onions (lets say 10 cal). I figure the total is a whooping 283 cal. Im looking forward to my new and improved body upon completion of the this journey! Thanks for the challange CJ!!

CJ Miller said...

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!

Nickie did her 10 mile run and just like a YOUNG person, she ran at 9 minute miles! ; )

MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!!!

I had lunch with Nickie today and we both laughed about memories of high school when we were tasked to run a mile (4 times around the track!) I remember almost vomiting! It seemed like a pure-hell task at 16 years old.

And look at Nickie - here she is... what, maybe early 30's?... and she has her pace down to 9 minute miles!!!! Talk about hitting the gym showers early!!!!

Another fun thing! Nickie (who is training for a 1/2 marathon) says to me today, "...do you think it might be possible that I could do a full marathon...?"

Oh my gosh - YES!!!! Look at me! 47, chubby and running 12 minute miles... I did it. Nickie is sleek and young and already in the 9 minute mile range! The answer is of course, YES! By following the training schedule, of course she could get to a full Marathon!

But first - Nickie needs to get fit for the PROPER SIZE RUNNING SHOES and she needs to start GU'ing! If she doesn't, she will learn it the tough way...! She told me today that she is running in shoes the same size as her regular shoes -MAJOR ERROR! She is afraid to GU because she used one once and vomited! Which is directly a result of NOT DRINKING WHILE GU'ING!!!!! (read the instructions!)

EVERYTHING changes when you venture into the 10+ mile range. EVERYTHING has to be right to support you. Shoes, socks, clothing, hydration, electrolyte replenishment, posture....

Nickie is going shopping as I write this. She has just joined the DoubleDigit Club and she NEEDS a few things!

I am so excited for her. Now - please! All of you! Tell us about a milestone you have hit that you never dreamed possible! We all want to celebrate it!

And here's to Nickie - 10 miles! And ready for 12!!!!!