Monday, September 22, 2008

Good days and Bad days

Not every run is a feel good run. Some start out crummy and get better and some start out great and end up feeling like a trudge through hell.

As was my Saturday run.

I was scheduled to up my mileage to 12. I was ready, having done two 10-milers in the past two weeks. I decided to take a path more traveled and hit the streets rather than my mountain trail. After plotting a nice loop route with the help of Google Earth and loading my Camelback with ice, Gatorade, GU’s and my cell phone, I was off.

Out the front door at 6:30 a.m. and the first 9 miles were great. I took a GU at 5 miles and another at 9 when I was starting to get really worn down. By this time the sun was out in full force and my head got hot. I was thinking a cap might have been smart, but too late for that now. I still had 3 miles to go and things were not going my way…

My heart rate began go up too high, so I would walk to bring it back down. Down it would come and off I would trot and in no time it was too high again. This was making me mad. Pretty soon I was walking way more than I was running and next thing ya know – I am out of Gatorade.

This was a drag because I had 2+ more miles to go! And mostly uphill. Note to self: if I do this run again, go the opposite way so it's down hill on the way home!

Had to walk most of the final 3 and my 12 ended up taking me 3 full hours. That is an average 15 minute mile... way slower than I hoped for. Oh by the way - when I got home and saw the temp over 100 - (topped out at 104 on Saturday), I better understood my misery. It just got too dang hot for a big run. October can't come soon enough to this desert!!!!

But here is some important stuff - One of our team members - Sweet Nicki in Phoenix was telling me about her run last weekend. She got dizzy, sick and had to sit on the curb and have her husband drive her home. She was so beat down over it. So, being inquisitive, I asked what time she ran at - 1:00 pm!!!! I asked her if she was using GU's - No!!! So if I got overheated at 9 in the morning in this blazing desert, just think what she was going through without even electrolyte and glucose supplements! This is serious stuff for us desert runners - summer isn't over yet and we all need to be really careful running in the heat. We need to be smarter than we've been. A ball cap for me - maybe stashing some water bottles along the way. And for God's sake Nicki!!! Run earlier and utilize the GU's!!!!

But as an epilog - I made it home and ice packed my knees, ankles and hips and read the Saturday paper. I was a little sore, but homecoming is next weekend and loving Step-Cha (I just can't get child out anymore! She is almost 15!!!), needed a dress so off we went to the mall. We walked to every store and she tried on no less than 250 dresses. I think forcing myself to walk all afternoon (and the ice), worked through the aches because I felt great on Sunday. This morning I did a 5 with no problem.

But - I will be repeating my 12 next weekend and changing some things up to have a better result before I move on with the schedule. This past weekend was just one of those runs that feels bad. We will all have those days - don't let them get you down or make you stray from your goal. Your next run will be better. Trust me!

And the Cha will look lovely in her cute silver party dress - ! ; )

1 comment:

Nickie said...

Glad to be a part of the 50 is the New Running Club. As for the heat....well I have learned my lesson. Nickie down no more!! Thanks CJ for all the advice and encouragement as I run and create new goals for myself. On the days that I feel like Im not progressing or that I want to give up...I read your bloggs and feel motivated to keep running. Thanks!